6 December 2011







     I squeezed through the cat-door, gripping the prey with my teeth. Mum and Matilda were baking in the kitchen.
    
I dropped the prize at their feet. "Meow," I said. 
No one looked.
    
“Matilda, grab some eggs and milk, please,” said Mum, busily sifting flour.
    
Matilda rushed to the fridge, kicking my soggy trophy across the floor.
A game!
I pounced on the lifeless form, swatting it this way and that.
No one looked.
    
“Cocoa powder and chocolate chips,” ordered Mum.
Matilda pulled them from the baking drawer.
    
“That’s everything,” said Mum, smiling.
She stirred the big bowl of ingredients.
    
Bored with my game and feeling peckish, I chewed off the victim’s head. Tasty!
No one looked.
    
Mum poured the mixture into the cake tin.

Just then…

     “Mum! The chickens are in the garden!” cried Matilda, racing to the door.
     Mum left the cake tin and followed her.
    
Picking up the remains of my kill, I jumped onto the bench. I peered into the cake tin. I opened my mouth...plop!
My offering sank.
    
Suddenly, Mum and Matilda burst through the door.
I fled.
    
Later that night…
    
“Welcome home, Dad,” sang Mum and Matilda. They presented him with a large chunk of chocolate cake.

I sat on my chair and purred.
    
Dad took a big bite. He screwed up his face.
“What’s this?” he mumbled, pulling something out of his mouth.

Everyone looked…




5 comments:

Jane Robertson said...

I remember this one :-)

I love the 'no one looked'...'everyone looked'. No one likes being ignored!

Neat photo!

Fun when you write from an animal's perspective...

Unknown said...

Sneaker has the perfect expression :)

Pukeko G said...

It is not as gross after the second read .. but the cat looks meaner than in real life. Good story that one too.

Unknown said...

Thanks bub XX Oh...I made you some choc cake for supper :j

Peter Greene said...

Hah! That was great.