Silly me offered to bake for a PTA fundraising dinner. Something I never do.
I thought surely I could cope with a simple slice in between stalking ferrets and dealing with the other things happening round here.
And it was looking good, too. The base was passable, the caramel came ready-made in a tin, and the chocolate icing spread easily. Phew!
But this morning...the icing was too soft. :( When I cut the slice the icing slid and drooped over the sides and didn't look at all appealing. And to make matters worse, I'd eaten so much (for taste-testing purposes) that there was a piece short.
So, using a bit of kiwi ingenuity, I cut the slices smaller and produced that missing piece (plus several others :) :) And any icing who threatened to throw itself overboard got trimmed immediately!
Now I can safely say that my caramel slices look tidy and square as they sit in the freezer hardening their heads.
Let's hope I remember to get them out in time to thaw a bit before delivery...