10 February 2012




Janey has piglets










Janey is a berkshire pig and this is her first litter. 
She had six live and two stillborn.

It's mind-boggling how quick the piglets are on their feet and around at that milk-bar after being born.

Because Janey had her piglets outside we built a haybale house over her to keep out the cold wind and rain.

This morning all six piglets had survived squashage! 

We then moved Mum and piglets into the nursery shed. 
It's amazing how fast one can run while holding a squealing piglet and being chased by an angry mother pig.

 Thankfully everyone made the shift without losing live or limb.

Now we just have to keep our fingers and toes crossed for the next few days that all our wee piglets make it through.

Well done, Janey.

:)


 (Janey is named after our dear friend Jane. I don't know if Jane appreciates it or not! hehe)



12 comments:

Pukeko G said...

I hope viewers had not just eaten prior to seeing this post ... they are soooo cute .. thanks for the update :o)<

Unknown said...

Oh oops! hehe I didn't think of that. I guess I'm used to all the gore :)

dkm said...

Oh---my---god---
This is the most spectacular blogpost ---totally unexpected---shocking, even---magnificent---unique---unparalleled---glorious in every way!
Jane! You must be bursting at the seams to have such a namesake.

The Happy Whisk said...

I loved seeing this. Thanks for sharing it with us. Will you name all the babies?

Pukeko G said...

Hey Debs .. what a wonderful response ! Guess when one is used to such activities it is taken for granted .. but on reflection I can't say I have seen piglets being born on tv. I hope Niki posts them being held as are super cute !

dkm said...

Not on tv, or movies, or youtube or ANYwhere---taken for granted only by those who see it often---for me it was a moment of grandeur :-) and actually brought tears.

Jane Robertson said...

I am SO proud of Janey and very honoured that we share a name :-)))))))))))))

And NO WAY could I do what Janey does (especially seeing that last photo) so I have huge admiration for her too.

Mind you, I baulked a bit at the first couple of photos, then it got better and better. Thanks for sharing these pics Niki. I will post one in return - so you can show the wee piggies what they can look forward to (no I don't mean that PG!).

dkm said...

Do you take requests? I hereby request a future post that includes Janey's REAL face, after my mistaken ID on J.R.'s blog :-)

Emma said...

I love piglets (:

Pukeko G said...

We have watched rabbits, calves, lambs, goat kids and puppies being born in real life but the best news to date is there has been no accidental loss of piglets caused by the mother (standing or lying on them) Maybe more should see things like this .. real reality viewing :o))<

dkm said...

Mmmm---the miracle of birth and life--

"best news"-- is that what Niki meant when she said "no squashage?" I can think of no more terrible death than to be squashed under a prickly lard bag---and have it be one's own mother---:-)---such amazing realities in the natural world.

Pukeko G said...

Yes Debs .. no squashage :)