14 August 2013



Yesterday my washing machine conked out right in the middle of soaping up Spongebob Squarepants.

The poor baby has lost his spin. 
Oh no! I said. Anything but the ... spin! 

:(

I went into a state of panic. Tears flowed. The thought of being unable to wash ... unbearable.

My man calmly said, it won't matter if you don't do the laundry for a couple of days.

WHAT?!

Do you know what happens when you miss a day of washing????

They breed!

Those stinky clothes and towels multiply until there is a huge mountain of smelliness. 

They breed so much that the laundry door bulges under the pressure.

Then I have to do ten loads to make up for it.

No!
I cannot miss a day of washing.

So I'm hand washing our clothes.
I like it. I can daydream to my heart's content.

 Today the sun is shining, the wind is puffing, 
and my clothesline is a row of drippiness.

I'm smiling.







4 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

Ah, the signs of spring, you lucky girl you. Sorry about the washer though. Boy those clothes really do pile up. Well-written post, you did. Always enjoy my time here.

Cheers to you and boogie boogie.

Pukeko G said...

The blog author misses doing laundry like a smoker misses drawing on the old cancer stick !! Ask who the 'ringer' was !? :)

Jane Robertson said...

Hehe - great post :-D

I would panic too - even with my relatively small amounts of washing.

I remember my mum using Nana's old wringer machine. Hard work. I was scared that she would catch her hand in the wringer :-O

dkm said...

Who was the wringer? :-)

Jane, I too remember pulling the clothes out of the back side of the wringer on my mom's machine in the creepy damp basement, afraid I would catch MY hand. My mom did laundry for college boys in our town---in an old fashioned wringer washer---also ironed their shirts on a mangle iron, operated from a chair with a knee pedal. Even I learned to iron on the mangle at age 12. Can't imagine it now. Mostly because I rarely iron at all anymore.

Dear "blog author"---love that you turned laundry into poetry---