3 June 2012



milking the goat




Heidi the Saanen goat.

A few years ago I stopped milking Heidi because I couldn't bring myself to remove her babies. 
And share-milking with greedy goat kids was hopeless.

Last year, Heidi started to produce milk.
There was no way she was pregnant as we'd sold all our other goats and she absolutely detested the sheep ram.
Goats are superior, you know! 

I milk two litres from her every second day.
Heidi's milk feeds five cats, one dog and, unbeknown to him, my boy. I also make my yummy porridge with it as well.

One day, I made the mistake of giving Matty a glass of goat milk while it was still warm. He knew straight away what it was and refused to drink anymore. Now I secretly pour it for him from the fridge! hehe 

I don't know if it was false pregnancy or spontaneous lactation, but I do hope Heidi keeps it up.






6 comments:

dkm said...

That's an experienced milker. Double stream! Wonderful story. I'll bet if you keep milking her, she'll keep producing. I'm off to my brother's goat farm for a writing retreat next week. Hope to blog from there, if I don't get too burrowed into my ms, which is, of course, the whole idea. Goat's milk will cure what ails you. Send Jane some!

Jane Robertson said...

So good to see Heidi and know that she is continuing to produce. Have to smile at Matty's reaction - and your sleigh of hand Niki. Does the milk taste bery different from cow milk??

I must say I struggle with the flavour of goat cheese.

I still miss Rosie :-(

Please post some photos and thoughts from your brother's goat farm Deb :-)

Jane Robertson said...

*very*

dkm said...

I must agree that I struggled with musky flavor of goatmilk at my brother's place too---until he got it perfected---don't know what he does now, but it tastes rich and sweet and delicious. Will definitely send photos from the farm.

Unknown said...

I think it depends on what they eat. Heidi is in a good weedy paddock, her milk is quite sweet. Other times it can taste real goaty, the way goat feta cheese tastes.

Can't wait for your goaty blog posts Deb :))

Pukeko G said...

Pull the Other One !! hehehee