11 May 2012




I forgot these were in the camera.



Back in March, my man and I had a very special lunch in the new 'container mall' in Christchurch.

I thought the containers looked neat. They were multi-level and vibrant coloured with decks and banisters. And they felt safe.

Thankfully Mother Nature must have been having a rest as there was not one wobble.




At the Crafted Coffee Company, we sat overlooking the courtyard and ate delicious chicken filo and salad. 
Entertainment was a young long-haired busker and his electric guitar. As much as I love electric guitars, we found it annoyingly loud when trying to talk. Even the waiter wished the musician would leave.

Another source of amusement was a feathery fiend stealing a lady's lunch.

While waiting for her order, the middle-aged lady left her table to chat to someone she obviously knew. A waiter appeared with a burger and fries. He put them on the lady's table. As he left, a cheeky seagull dived in and wrecked havoc, grabbing beakfuls of food and spreading it everywhere.

Ah ha! A photo opportunity! 
But as I fumbled with the focus a commotion broke out. 
People had realised what was happening.

The lady rushed back.
She angrily shooed the seagull away then stomped red-faced into the cafe container. 

Moments later several waiters zoomed out and frantically cleared the mess. 
This time the lady stayed seated and soon a fresh burger and fries arrived. 

I must admit I felt sorry for the seagull. And a bit annoyed that I'd missed out on a photo.   

But, just then, a wee friend joined us for lunch. :)









6 comments:

Pukeko G said...

... and I had to share my pastry with it for the photo opportunity! Least it didn't eat as much as a gull. :)

Jane Robertson said...

This so made me smile :-))))
I'm with the gull - and the sparrow.
And who's the handsome guy in the first photo (in front of the elephant)????

The Happy Whisk said...

Boogie boogie, dear friend.

Love the photos. Looks like I missed a lot great photos on your posts. You have a great eye.

Hugs, hugs.

dkm said...

Great story all around. Is the container mall part of the rebuilding of Christchurch?
Smart seagull, but I'd not be happy either, if he took my dinner.
I don't recognize the little bird. A sparrow of some kind?
I read that Australia has 330 bird species found nowhere else on earth. Made me wonder if the same is true of New Zealand.

Emma said...

Th container mall is very cool!

Unknown said...

I think the container mall is a way to get people back into the city. I'm not sure if it's going to be permanent or not. I hope it is.

Yes the wee bird is a sparrow. I boosted his colours a bit. :)