5 March 2013



The Weekend Away


Our neighbours shifted further down south, a six hour drive from Oxford to Alexandra.

We helped them move and got to enjoy the beautiful scenery of Central Otago.



Spice,
the lovely wee dog we stayed with in Alexandra. 



The classic remains of Alexandra's bridge, 
now replaced by steel.



Just downstream from the bridge,
the confluence of the Clutha and Manuherikia Rivers.



Clyde dam - green power.
In the foreground grows wild thyme. 
The smell is heady and strong ... just beautiful.



Lake Dunstan,
 a man-made lake just upstream from the dam.



Lake Dunstan,
where you see Man-slave modeling the latest in glowing work-shirts and jeans.



Hop, skip, and a jump.
Who or what disappeared in the breeze?



A tuft of resilient grass growing out of a large rock.



The bank of Lake Dunstan.



Something fluffy and pretty.



Heading home, downside of Lindis Pass,
the mighty MacKenzie Country, 
named after a notorious sheep thief.



Lake Pukaki,
taken from the window of a speeding car towing an empty horse float.
Not good for one's hairdo!



Looking up the Rakaia Gorge at dusk,
heading towards Oxford and home.





5 comments:

Jane Robertson said...

My favourite - the circles on the water.
And the bridge
And Spice
And Man-slave

They are all stunning - makes me homesick for the McKenzie and Central. What a beautiful country we have :-)

Jane Robertson said...

I used to drive through some this country a lot when I lived in Geraldine. Now I am fearful of how it might have changed (the MacKenzie) with dairying.

Did you get any fruit?

(Apologies for first 'Mackenzie' spelling).

Unknown said...

I love Geraldine, it was so pretty. I said to PG that I would like to live there. :)

There was the odd paddock of green and it really did look odd! :( Very sad. It makes me cry when I think of what the future holds for our country.

Pukeko G said...

The pics look even better full screen. As for the future .. we all have to do our bit to counteract the grab for greed, plant more trees for a start.

dkm said...

Breathtaking! I'd be hard pressed to pick favorites because every time I look at them, I change my mind. Right now it's the gorge at dusk and the plucky grass growing out of the rock. But then there are those water rings.
Do you get immune to views like this in your ordinary daily lives? They really are spectacular, you know. I would drive off the road, gaping, every day on my way to the grocery store. 2014!