17 September 2012




I've developed a complex.

The day after I put up my last blog post a rebel lamb broke through the gate and savaged my row of broccoli plants. He was beheading the first cabbage when he was spotted and chased out. 

I didn't cry or stomp or even swear, but I got his number. He's been moved to the top of the 'Who's For The Freezer?' list.

If that wasn't bad enough, I've had to endure cats digging the leeks and rolling amongst the asparagus, kids standing on the row of pea seeds, and dog burying bones in any dirt I've dug.

Today I planted out ten young fennel and sowed two little rows of french radishes. 
A terrific hail storm hit, bombarding everything with marble-sized stones.



Oh Woe!

But it was spectacular. 
It went from lovely sunshine to darkness in a matter of minutes.
The photos don't do it justice.

I was collecting eggs at the time. The wind was super strong. I could barely walk. The air filled with pollen as thunder bellowed and lightning sliced the sky.   

Then the power went out.





Now it's raining steadily. 
I daren't peep at the fennel, or the radish seeds. I won't even check the two wee pea sprouts who popped up to say, "Hi."

I'll just look forward to planting out my broad bean seedlings in a day or two.

XX




5 comments:

Jane Robertson said...

Seems to me your 'freezer' list might get to be very long Niki (very tempted to say 'Socks) - especially if it gets extended beyond the lambs!!!

I'm really sorry - memories of my first year planting veges in GB - and coming out to find the possums had razed the lot :-(

I was coming home over the hill yesterday when the storm struck. It was sooo black. I was wanting to get home to get in the washing and feed the chooks before it broke but got stuck behind a slow boat to China car (grrrrr) and was too late.

Special growing wishes for your brave wee seedlings!

dkm said...

Such a tale of woe and how discouraging. What more could go wrong? Don't think I've ever seen hail cover the ground like that. And rarely do we see it that big. Wondering if you got the snowstorm that was predicted, or if this was the same storm? Still, how storybookish to be out gathering eggs when the storm hit!

dkm said...

And how romantic---french radishes.

Pukeko G said...

I wonder if worms speak french ??! Hmmm .. So do root veges converse and do leafy ones to each other too !? I doubt the legumes and leaf varieties would speak with the roots ... since they are beneath them ! ;O)< Yeah for the storm .. we got about 15mm rain (once ice melted) so thats ideal.

The Happy Whisk said...

Oh my goodness. What a day. The picture of the hail is very nice. I enjoyed that, and I laughed at the top of the freezer, list.

You crack me up.