31 January 2013



Daddy ripped up the smelly old carpet in Amber's bedroom.
Underneath were two rotten floorboards near the window.

"I'd love to put my foot through one," said Amber.

"Don't even think about it!" said Mum, who secretly felt the wooden squishiness with her toes. "I'm going to put your bed over top so you can't, and Daddy will be getting them fixed soon anyway."

Then one day, Amber tore out of the bedroom. 
"Mum! My foot went through the floor."

"How on earth?" said Mum, as she ran to see the damage. "You better not have done it on purpose!"

Amber's bed stood half way across the room, and dust rose from the jagged foot-sized hole in the floor.


"Promise, I didn't do it on purpose," said Amber, her brown eyes wide. "I just wanted to see what my bed looked like next to my wardrobe, and I stepped back and then my foot went through the floor."

"You already know what your bed looks like next to the wardrobe," said Mum, frowning.

"Actually," said Amber, pointing at the other decayed floorboard, "I thought my foot would have gone through that one. It's looks more rotten, don't you think?" 

"Hmmm!" said Mum. "Well, you know what's going to happen now, don't you."

Amber gulped. "No, what?"

"Mice are going to jump through the hole, climb onto your bed, and make a nest in your hair while you sleep."

Amber's eyes grew rounder and rounder. 
Then she laughed. "They will not!" She glanced at the hole. "But just in case, I'll put a book over the hole. And I'll put a book on the other board so my foot won't go through that one as well."

"And maybe Daddy will hurry up and get them fixed!" added Mum.





   



4 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

Your writing makes me laugh. Well done. Love the book, too.

Pukeko G said...

I feel a bit of sarcasm in there .. !?!?! We now have a blessed floor. Holey ;o)<

Jane Robertson said...

Love that bit about the mice coming through the hole and making a nest in Amber's hair!! Best thing is it's just, almost believable!!

My Nana had a porch like that - borer had given up holding hands.

You can't possibly touch a blessed floor can you PG???

Jane Robertson said...

very flash toenails...